• Stop by our Storefront!
  • 2716 Dawson Ave. Signal Hill, CA 90755
  • 888-993-7552 (US) // 562-981-6800

[OP] Junior Member

OEM steering wheel spacer

Hi, I'd wish to show you my DIY mod.
    I'm 6 - 2" and the driving position of the 500 was uncomfortable in my opinion: holding the steering wheel in the correct way, especially if you like sporty driving, implies to keep my legs very bent. Moving the seat backward doesn't help because at this point, when legs are in a good position, the steering wheel was too far.
    The stock steering wheel couldn't be pulled out due to lack of steering wheel depth adjustment in 500s, and the only possible solution was fitting an aftermarket steering wheel, like OMP, Sparco or MOMO, which improves the driving position but requires the airbag to be turned off.
    So, seen that I didn't want to drive without airbag, both for safety and MOT reasons, I pulled the stock wheel out, take some dimensions, spent some hours on Autocad and CNC machines, and I've made a steering wheel spacer that makes the steering wheel come 2,5" closer to me keeping the airbag, horn and steering wheel commands working.
    Now I can slide the seat backward and gain room for my legs without driving with my arms fully extended.
    Let me upload some pics.

[OP] Junior Member

pics

hope you like

Administrator

GiacomoRS,

Thank You for sharing! Do you still use the same steering wheel cover to cover the spacer or is it left off?
    Check out www.500madness.com for the largest selection of Fiat 500 Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices. We service, customize and modify! Give us a call at 562-981-6800.

[OP] Junior Member

There are some ways to make the spacer "hidden".
    1) paint it or anodize in a colour that matches the steering wheel (dark or ivory white)
    2) make yourself a sort of leather gaiter in the same colour of the steering wheel that makes an effect like covering a telescopic steering column
    3) solution 1 + making the external diameter of the aluminium cylinder the same as the plastic cover of the stalks/wiper levers. At the end of the job it will look OEM. I'll choose this route if I'd make a batch. This sample has a little diameter because I wanted to make it lighter and it was more important for me to make something that works safe and fits perfectly. Now that I'm sure it does, I can improve the aesthetic factor

[OP] Junior Member

cover done, anodized to match the interior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6743.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	2291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anodizzato panna.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	2290