• Stop by our Storefront!
  • 2716 Dawson Ave. Signal Hill, CA 90755
  • 888-993-7552 (US) // 562-981-6800
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

[OP] Senior Member

Advice from the Pros!

I wanted to start a thread where you can ask any questions you have about your FIAT 500 and upgrading it. We have an entire shop of experts that will be able to give you some honest advice!

should i aim my foucs toward carbon fiber cosmetic upgrades? or perhaps a computer chip for HP? whats the better buy?
    -DMAT

[OP] Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dannymat425 View Post
    should i aim my foucs toward carbon fiber cosmetic upgrades? or perhaps a computer chip for HP? whats the better buy?
    Hey Danny, Carbon Fiber is ideal for reducing the weight of your car, which can translate into better performance and a mean look, but also can get expensive. If you are looking for a mod that you can definitely feel, I highly suggest our GOPedal! (madnessgopedal.com) it really is a night and day difference! Along with the GOPedal I'd suggest starting with an Intake and Exhaust, both of them together really help the motor breathe!

Hi Jay,

I met you last week at the shop, thanks for introducing yourself - the new short shifter and Black knob are great, also really liking the window tint.

I love this car as-is (especially with these recent mods), but also I'm looking forward to making a few changes down the road. One thing that I'd like to do is go with one of your brake upgrade kits (probably the Wilwoods).

But in addition to this, I'm sometimes getting a bit more understeer in the car than I would prefer, and am wondering if you guys have the same opinion, and/or have heard this from others ? I understand that with a FWD car, this is one of the natural characteristics of the car, but I wonder if you guys have or are working on anything that might reduce the understeer a bit ? Or is this something I'll probably just get used to ? My prior daily driver was a MINI Cooper S, and I didn't feel the understeer quite so much.

Thanks for any advice / thoughts.

Advice from the Pros!

I've heard that installing a more rigid anti-sway bar helps with this a lot. I believe Madness will be releasing one soon.
    ~Stacey 2012 Abarth (Grigio)

I have purchased and installed a short throw and shift knob from you guys which I absolutely LOVE. Once you guys open up again I will be purchasing the kill switch/alarm for my car followed by the GoPedal. What I am conflicted in buying is either the madness ECU or the cold air. I will eventually get both, but I am not sure which one to get first.

Thanks.

Also, how about tweaking the tires' air pressure (front/rear) ? Anyone experimented with this, for the understeer issue ?

On the US Fiat 500 forum, someone suggested increasing the front tire pressure slightly - to me, this sounds like the opposite of what would be needed - I would think that decreasing the front pressure slightly complared to the rears would make the front tires more grippy, which would seem to me to be what is wanted. Am I wrong about that ?
    Last edited by mikester; 12-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.

In simple terms, what exactly does the Gopedal do to the 500? I'm really curious.. mine seems really peppy the way it is, but always open for change..

[OP] Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    In simple terms, what exactly does the Gopedal do to the 500? I'm really curious.. mine seems really peppy the way it is, but always open for change..
    It advances your throttle timing, which helps to eliminate any initial lag. So basically, when you push down on the pedal 10% the GOPedal tells the ECU 30%. (those numbers are just for reference). It has 3 different settings, and you can adjust each of those settings 6 ways, that way you can dial in your throttle to be exactly how you want it to feel!

Jay, thanks for the info on the Gopedal.. it is on my list of things to get. I do have another question if you don't mind. My first oil change will be coming up soon, and i was wondering if i should switch to synthetic or not. What are your thoughts on this?

[OP] Senior Member

Jay, thanks for the info on the Gopedal.. it is on my list of things to get. I do have another question if you don't mind. My first oil change will be coming up soon, and i was wondering if i should switch to synthetic or not. What are your thoughts on this?
    I'll ask our tech and let you know by tomorrow!

[OP] Senior Member

The decision is up to each driver, just as it would be for any car, but we use Valvoline full-synthetic here, I'd recommend reading up on a few, there are all kinds of brands of oil, and just as many people to like them

Thanks Jay, i'll probably switch to full synthetic, at least i'm leaning that way. Two grand on the meter now, i'll probably take it in at 3 for the switch. I can't believe the book says 8,000 before first oil change. I also have always been a Valvoline guy... not synthetic, just regular Valvoline in the past.

I'm looking for the Fiat500 specific PID's. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

I've saved up and am ready for my first upgrade(s) to my 500c. I recently drove a 500 Pop with the Mopar air intake, and liked the performance. What are your thoughts on performance from the range of intakes offered at 500 Madness? I'm inclined to believe that the non-Mopar intakes might offer a greater performance increase - is this true? If your answer is based on my upgrade path, I'm pondering an intake combo'd with a short-shift kit, followed by a go pedal.